LABORATORY MANAGER POSITION
Aclarity is a venture capital backed water technology company that develops and deploys platform electrochemical water treatment products to protect the environment and human health. We strive to be the most impactful water company by delivering sustainable, cost effective, and superior water treatment solutions to the world. We are a dynamic and growing startup that values inclusiveness, hard work, and fun.
At present, Aclarity is heavily involved with research identifying optimal treatment conditions for a number of organic and inorganic compounds including (but not limited to) poly- and perfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS), ammonia, cyanide, and nitrate. We are examining these in several different water matrices including landfill leachate, industrial wastewaters, and potable water sources. We are also conducting research into how to identify and quantify different oxidants that co-occur during treatment.
Aclarity has begun expanding our product line from single anode-cathode pairs operating in batch mode to larger systems containing multiple electrode pairs and operating in different flow modes including single-pass and internal recirculation. We are also exploring different electrode material and configurations to optimize treatment of different contaminants.
Organizes and manages laboratory personnel in sampling and testing protocols and procedures. Manages the efficient operation of the laboratory and lab work including reactor experiments, physical, organic, and inorganic chemical analysis of raw and finished waters to determine their content and assure compliance with company, regulatory, and permit requirements. The Lab Manager is also responsible for the legal defensibility of work performed in the laboratory and the implementation of safe practices and procedures and quality control techniques.
Examples of Duties:
- Oversee experimental preparation, equipment maintenance, quality control, analysis of samples; determine appropriate analytical methods for different parameters and experimental matrices.
- Ensure that uniform monitoring and record keeping (reactors experiments, chain of custody, analytical SOP’s, sample preservation, and data validation) are performed.
- Develop a Laboratory Quality Assurance Program and ensure that consistent quality control and lab procedures from collection through testing and analysis are followed.
- Design and implement research protocols; design safety procedures; adapt new procedures, methods, or instrumentation relative to research procedures, and search of pertinent scientific literature as needed.
- Establish and verify laboratory performance indicators and ensure the integrity of the data presented to management.
- Report non-conformance events to Chief Science Officer or his designee. Initiates corrective action immediately to avoid adverse effects on quality and safety. Ensure that issues are identified, addressed, and elevated if necessary, as soon as issues have arisen.
- Coordinate with manufacturers and suppliers of parts and replacements required to maintain mobile pilot and in-house reactor units are available to conduct experiments.
- Provide technical assistant and direction to clients on mobile pilot units.
- Prepare and manage annual budget for laboratory services. Oversee lab inventory control program. Ensure that lab resources are being utilized to achieve business objectives.
- Oversee the human resource functions of assigned team including, performance appraisals, coaching and counseling team. Works to identify and provide opportunities for team to learn new skills and techniques.
- Supervise the analysis of treatment chemicals and other purchased substances to ensure that specifications are met.
- Review data prior to reporting. Update quality control charts and graphs on a regular basis. Prepare reports, publications and presentations concerned with analyses of water and work related for internal purposes, clients, and regulatory agencies.
- Proactively manage safety and environmental issues and ensures compliance with Federal and State standards including Hazardous Waste Disposal and Air Quality Standards in lab and in field testing assignments.
- Understand and follow the Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA Laboratory Safety Guide.
- Ensure that current Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) documentation is maintained and available at the workplace.
- Establish maintenance and calibration schedules and ensures that lab equipment, instrumentation and other accessories are properly maintained and in top working condition and proper records are kept. Assist in diagnosing and evaluating complex issues and coordinates outside maintenance when necessary.
Perform various duties of a routine to complex nature following acceptable standards of quality and performance, requires independent judgment in determining methods of completion and carrying out assignments
Supervision received: works under the direct supervision of the Chief of Science Officer or their designee.
Supervision given: supervises Lab Technician(s) and provides direction and guidance to the other staff and external partners, assisting them in completing their assigned work.
Education, Training, and Experience:
Master’s in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, electrochemistry, or related field. Eight to Ten (8-10) years of experience, preferably in a research environment. Ph.D. is a plus. Experience with advanced oxidation processes or electrochemical processes is highly desirable.
Regularly required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear; operate objects, tools, or controls; pick up paper, files and other common office objects. Ability to view computer screens and work with details for extended periods of time. Work to be performed in a lab environment, therefore proper safety protocols must be followed.
This position is located in Worcester, MA. Applicant must be local or be willing to relocate.
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration to this position. This application will remain open until filled. For more information about the company visit us at www.aclaritywater.com.
Aclarity is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please note that Aclarity does not sponsor applicants for work visas. This position can only be filled by a US Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.