LABORATORY ASSISTANT POSITION
Aclarity is a venture capital backed water technology company that develops and deploys platform electrochemical water treatment products to protect the environment and human health. We strive to be the most impactful water company by delivering sustainable, cost effective, and superior water treatment solutions to the world. We are a dynamic and growing startup that values inclusiveness, hard work, and fun.
At present, Aclarity is heavily involved with research identifying optimal treatment conditions for a number of organic and inorganic compounds including (but not limited to) poly- and perfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS), ammonia, cyanide, and nitrate. We are examining these in several different water matrices including landfill leachate, industrial wastewaters, and potable water sources. We are also conducting research into how to identify and quantify different oxidants that co-occur during treatment.
Aclarity has begun expanding our product line from single anode-cathode pairs operating in batch mode to larger systems containing multiple electrode pairs and operating in different flow modes including single-pass and internal recirculation. We are also exploring different electrode material and configurations to optimize treatment of different contaminants.
Perform the work associated with the laboratory including but not limited to: conducting in-house reactor experiments, performing routinely sample analysis, maintaining mobile and bench and pilot unit systems, coordinating with suppliers and partners, maintaining inventory and purchasing of materials and consumables needed for the proper operation of the laboratory. Assist the lab Manager in the efficient operation of the laboratory and lab work and assure compliance with company, regulatory, and permit requirements.
Examples of Duties:
- Collect, prepare, and analyze research data; keep a detailed and organized log record of experiments; maintain computer database of research data; tabulate and display data for presentation in company materials, research conferences, and for manuscript preparation; use graphics and statistical software to analyze and present data.
- Perform routinely tests and experiments following the quality control program from collection through analysis, validate chain of custody, and sample handling procedures.
- Monitor and keep uniform records of lab procedures and performed tests (reactors experiments, chain of custody, analytical SOP’s, sample preservation and data validation) on a daily basis.
- Support the lab manager on the implementation of research protocols; design safety procedures, and search of pertinent scientific literature as needed.
- Assist the lab manager on the preparation of annual budget for laboratory services.
- Maintain log records of the lab inventory including a schedule of renting mobile pilot units and make sure they are available and properly maintained before delivery. Also ensure that the in-house reactor unit is properly maintained on a routinely basis for proper operation.
- Report non-conformance events to the lab manager. Ensure that issues are identified, addressed, and elevated if necessary, as soon as issues have arisen.
- Verify the analysis of treatment chemicals and other purchased substances to ensure that specifications are met.
- Assist lab manager on the preparation of reports, publications, and presentations concerned with analyses of water and work related for internal purposes, clients, and regulatory agencies.
- Understand and follow the Occupational Safety and Health Administration OSHA Laboratory Safety Guide, including lab cleanliness and maintain current Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) documentation printed and available in the lab at all times.
- Assist on maintenance and calibration schedules and ensures that lab equipment, instrumentation and other accessories are properly maintained and in top working condition and proper records are kept.
- Assist in diagnosing and evaluating complex issues and coordinates outside maintenance when necessary.
Perform various duties of a routine to complex nature following acceptable standards of quality and performance, requires independent judgment in determining methods of completion and carrying out assignments
Supervision received: works under the direct supervision of the Lab Manager.
Supervision given: provides direction and guidance to the other staff and external partners, assists them in completing their assigned work.
Education, Training, and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrochemistry, or related field; Master’s Degree preferred; Two to five (2-5) years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in a research environment. Electro-mechanical field experience is a plus. Possessing a Class D Motor Vehicle Driver’s License is desired.
Regularly required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear; operate objects, tools, or controls; pick up paper, files and other common office objects. Ability to view computer screens and work with details for extended periods of time. Work to be performed in a lab environment, therefore proper safety protocols must be followed.
This position is located in Worcester, MA. Applicant must be local or be willing to relocate.
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration to this position. This application will remain open until filled. For more information about the company visit us at www.aclaritywater.com.
Aclarity is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please note that Aclarity does not sponsor applicants for work visas. This position can only be filled by a US Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.